Saturday, April 26, 2014

Through the Eyes Of Others -- Featuring {{BSD}} from Cosmetics Fair, RD Style and Curves 4 Her from DOPE Fashion Week, and EMO-tions

About once every 10 or so outfits I style, I do so with the darkest skin option at Kyxe Skins & Shapes. I know that many models, and probably many SL-ers in general choose one skin, one skintone, and find themselves settled into that identity. I completely understand that. I was 5'3", slim, tanned skin, and red hair for a long time in SL, and I made my own clothes.
The reason I change tones, and it's not only to the Walnut darkest tone or Alabaster lightest gone, makes a difference to me in a way I would not have predicted when I first began to do so. I feel like I tap into different parts of my spirit, my interests, my understanding of the world around me and maybe for a moment, I have a glimpse into lives and cultures other than my own. I do much the same with hair color as well. I've eased a long way from an exact preference, and the freedom to mold and morph my 'me' into so many varieties fulfills me.
I love the diversity of the world around me, and not just the world in my backyard. I have met people from Australia, South Africa, Italy and Ireland. I've heard their accents, embraced their point of view and absorb it like it's a sweet treat and I wouldn't get enough if I tried a new bite every day. All of us find our life journey taking a path that we create. Our now, our current culture and technical breakthroughs make it possible to see the life journey of others as well, through mixed media, through email, voice conferences at work or home, and in that, we really do get to view a hundred or a thousand other life journeys besides our own and learn something from that exposure.
Kin used to mean the people in your immediate circle. Family lived within 20 miles of one another all their lives. I think it's great that now, my kin live all over the world, and I can see things through their lives occasionally. I might over simplify, with the whole styling concept, but it's neat to me. I don't think I'd cross over and try being male, but I also work hard to avoid the word never. For now, I enjoy the vast diversity of exposure, and experience, and appreciate Kyxe Skins & Shapes for making this little exercise that's meaningful to my life possible.

I find great joy in styling and this blog would not be possible without these contributors:
Featuring from Cosmetics Fair {{BSD Design Studio}} Spring Break Disco Makeup Series
Featuring from DOPE Fashion Week Amelie Outfit RD Style
Featuring from DOPE Fashion Week Curves 4 Her Bring It On Slip On Shoes
Featuring EMO-tions Vanya Set
1. Apple Spice Poses
2. [elika]: Breathe
3. Sexy Mama Sculpted Nails
4. Kyxe Skins & Shapes: Walnut Skin Tone
5. KMADD/Moda: Mesh Eyes
6. Kyxe Skins & Shapes: Adriana Lipsticks

No comments:

Post a Comment