Saturday, April 20, 2013

It's Not Easy Being Green...

I grew up during a time where network television offered limited programming and every so often, there were specials. Every year, we tuned it to watch Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Mary Poppins and The Muppet Show. Those specials often meant we could stay up later, and enjoy a family night.


My favorite among the specials and shows aimed at young people was the Muppet Show. An entire set comprised of puppets of all shapes and sizes entertained us once a week. Though they were furry monsters with friendly smiles on their face, they had surprisingly human conflicts. In a song written for the famous "Kermit the Frog", Kermit emotes that it's not easy being green. I think maybe a bigger message came through that sweet innocent little tune. It's not easy being different.

In my world off line, I have dealt with physical handicaps all my life. There were times I had tubes still attached when I was sent home from a hospital, and always new scars from surgery. I stood out, in my family, in my immediate group of friends; the song resonated in my head. It's not easy being green. On a side note, when I get to wear beautiful designs in Second Life, from the incredible hair at MADesigns to the beautiful top from ::B:U:B:: as well as the sweet mesh mini from Demise of Flight, I get to be normal. I pulled this look together and smiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment