Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Are You Talking To Me? -- Featuring ::Marshmallows::, Damned Dolls, *Pc* and [Mirror's Enigma]

Robert DeNiro made the line, "Are you talking to me?" famous in the 1976 movie Taxi Driver. Ever since he said it, it's been used as an urban way of saying "Excuse me?" or "Are you really dumb enough to be talking to me or about me?"

TBCF
- ::Marshmallows:: Nu Sneakers Boho
- Damned Dolls Oxford Gir Outfit
- *Pc* Earrings Iulia
- [Mirror's Enigma] Ashley Medium Skintone
1. IKON: Sunrise Eyes Steel Blue Pale
2. Gaeline: Fantasia
3. Sexy Mama's
4. MADesigns: Brady
5. Manifeste Poses

Lines like this take on a life of their own, long after the movie becomes passe and the actors die or change jobs. In DeNiro's case, this movie partially launched his acting career and following the character he played in Taxi Driver, he received more offers of roles than he would ever have time to play.

TBCF
- ::Marshmallows:: Nu Sneakers Boho
- Damned Dolls Oxford Gir Outfit
- *Pc* Earrings Iulia
- [Mirror's Enigma] Ashley Medium Skintone
1. IKON: Sunrise Eyes Steel Blue Pale
2. Gaeline: Fantasia
3. Sexy Mama's
4. MADesigns: Brady
5. Manifeste Poses

Ironically, I find that I receive some of the sweetest compliments on photographs I take when I'm in an urban mood; if I look like the next girl who might get cast in a role similar to DeNiro's, a girl who's fierce and takes care of herself. Yet the Caryn and the Karyn have yet to feel an affinity for that role.

TBCF
- ::Marshmallows:: Nu Sneakers Boho
- Damned Dolls Oxford Gir Outfit
- *Pc* Earrings Iulia
- [Mirror's Enigma] Ashley Medium Skintone
1. IKON: Sunrise Eyes Steel Blue Pale
2. Gaeline: Fantasia
3. Sexy Mama's
4. MADesigns: Brady
5. Manifeste Poses

It doesn't make me feel like a fake. I'm not faking the role of a model, and to me, a model should be able to put together any type of outfit, any type of style to meet any type of requirement a designer might have. If I wore a futuristic robe and played a robot, I would not worry that I was pretending to be something or someone I'm not. I'd just have fun doing it.

TBCF
- ::Marshmallows:: Nu Sneakers Boho
- Damned Dolls Oxford Gir Outfit
- *Pc* Earrings Iulia
- [Mirror's Enigma] Ashley Medium Skintone
1. IKON: Sunrise Eyes Steel Blue Pale
2. Gaeline: Fantasia
3. Sexy Mama's
4. MADesigns: Brady
5. Manifeste Poses

It's just much easier to style items that suit my personality, my reality, and my sense of self. I've never really had exposure to a more urban lifestyle. I kept to myself, stayed in the shadows, under the radar, often shy and very quiet, and hoped that no one noticed ANY style I chose to wear.

TBCF
- ::Marshmallows:: Nu Sneakers Boho
- Damned Dolls Oxford Gir Outfit
- *Pc* Earrings Iulia
- [Mirror's Enigma] Ashley Medium Skintone
1. IKON: Sunrise Eyes Steel Blue Pale
2. Gaeline: Fantasia
3. Sexy Mama's
4. MADesigns: Brady
5. Manifeste Poses

I do believe my bravado and self-esteem improve with time, and exposure on Second Life. I feel far more at peace with me than I ever have. I enjoy what I do. I love the camaraderie between me and others who have similar goals. I still don't see the "You talking to me?" girl in myself, but maybe with even more time and experience, I'll get to that point too.

No comments:

Post a Comment