Wednesday, December 18, 2013

The Sneetches by Dr. Seuss -- Featuring [[Masoom]], MADesigns and Kyxe Skins & Shapes

Many of you have heard the story of The Grinch Who Stole Christmas by Dr. Seuss. It's a holiday classic. Most of you may never have heard of The Sneetches by Dr. Seuss. This story has a completely different focus but one that's so incredibly important. It tells a story of the haves and have nots. This is a story we've likely experienced at some point in our life.


When you're on the side that has value in your culture, it feels really really good. If you find yourself on the side that doesn't fit in so well, it can be very bad, depressing, and maybe push you to the edge of sanity. I can't think of a single instance where this doesn't happen. Someone thinks their way of life is the only way or the best way and tell others that the way they behave is wrong. It's a constant for humans.


The thing is, we believe it. We don't believe it when we're offering others advice. We tell others to blow it off, not to worry, not to get upset if they don't have a this or a that. But when we're the one missing that special thing, we grieve it. I've noticed this in the macrocosm of our wide world and in the microcosm of our Second Life. No group seems immune. You can be a Furry, a Neko or a Vampire, and you face the same thing.


I work hard on the concept of acceptance, open mindedness, and tolerance. If I want others to accept me just as I am, with my flaws and idiosyncrasies, I know I should extend the same. I don't always, however. I fail. I falter when it comes time for me to step up to the plate. I don't do it every time, but I repeat it often enough to know how fragile this sense of place and order in society is to us humans. As I spoke to a friend, to encourage them not to give up in the face of similar struggles, I thought of the Sneetches.

You'll see why if you take the time to read down the blog. I'll print a small portion of it and a link to the remaining part of the poem for you to read if you have time. I hope you take a deep breath as you read it and remember to Live! Laugh! Love!

Featuring [[Masoom]] Glam Mood Dress
Featuring MADesigns Mia
Featuring MADesigns Merge Hairbase
Featuring Kyxe Skins & Shapes Special Geisha Alabaster Skintone
1. MADesigns:
- Eyelashes Photoshoot
- Eyes Attention Ancient
2. Kyxe Skins & Shapes: Evening Splendor Metallic Mint
3. *AE*: Gold Beads and Chain Set at J&A Expo
4. Poses in Studio at The Creative Loft
5. Candy Nail: Rosey Gold


The Sneetches, by Dr. Seuss

Now, the Star-Bell Sneetches had bellies with stars. 
The Plain-Belly Sneetches had none upon thars.
Those stars weren’t so big. They were really so small. 
You might think such a thing wouldn’t matter at all.

But, because they had stars, all the Star-Belly Sneetches
Would brag, “We’re the best kind of Sneetch on the beaches.”
With their snoots in the air, they would sniff and they’d snort
“We’ll have nothing to do with the Plain-Belly sort!”
And, whenever they met some, when they were out walking,
They’d hike right on past them without even talking.

When the Star-Belly children went out to play ball,
Could a Plain Belly get in the game? Not at all.
You only could play if your bellies had stars
And the Plain-Belly children had none upon thars.

When the Star Belly Sneetches had frankfurter roasts
Or picnics or parties or marshmallow toasts,
They never invited the Plain-Belly Sneetches
They left them out cold, in the dark of the beaches.
They kept them away. Never let them come near.
And that’s how they treated them year after year.

Then ONE day, it seems while the Plain-Belly Sneetches
Were moping and doping alone on the beaches,
Just sitting there wishing their bellies had stars,
A stranger zipped up in the strangest of cars!

“My friends”, he announced in a voice clear and clean,
“My name is Sylvester McMonkey McBean. 
And I’ve heard of Your troubles. I’ve heard you’re unhappy. 
But I can fix that, I’m the Fix-It-Up Chappie. 

I’ve come here to help you. 
I have what you need. 
And my prices are low. And I work with great speed. 
And my work is one hundred per cent guaranteed!”

Then, quickly, Sylvester McMonkey McBean
Put together a very peculiar machine.
And he said, “You want stars like a Star-Belly Sneetch? 
My friends, you can have them for three dollars each!...

No comments:

Post a Comment